Nordmann
(.300 member)
28/07/13 09:38 PM
Re: Doubles At Auction: Outschar, Kal. .470 NE & .375 Flanget

If it is stocked with an internal bar/bolt up through the wrist like many European rifles (and shotguns) for example, and it probably is, then thats a different situation, but if its stocked like an English double side lock with just wood and extended top tang and lower tang then thats a different situation especially on a double rifle where not all the energy/ recoil is forced straight back and where there are some sideways stress as well. (barrels are positioned either side of center)

Those burly walnut stocks are decorative but they are not as strong as straight grained walnut. I have even seen a couple of small bore shotguns with similar stocks just crack off (admittedly they don't have an extended top tang) and I even had a gun broken in shipping too, cracked right through the wrist packed in an oak and leather case.

Whatever the situation, I for one am not fond of that light burly wood, I prefer to see straight grain through the wrist with some burl in the stock toward the back and bottom and wood with a deeper darker color.

Each to their own!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com