granhaven
(.224 member)
09/12/12 11:32 AM
Re: Gebr. Merkel 223 cal. .375 Flanged

on the subject of Recoil

Recoil is hardly felt when hunting, no matter how hard it is. however the time to recover between shooting the first shot and the time when you have moved the gun back into position for the second shot is sigificantly longer with a higher recoil. no matter if you feel the recoil or not, the boars will cover more ground during this time.

I am aware that tests may ruin a perfecly good discussion , but try the following and you will see my point :

In poland we have a shooting competition, shooting running boar at 50 meters, I think it is an olympic disipline. The shooter has the gun positioned at the hip, just like in international skeet when calling the boar, when the boar is visible ( not when you hear the engine) the shooter mounts the gun and makes one shot going left, then reloads and make one shot going right. In total 5 left and 5 right. A good shooter should make 90 of 100 points.

Now change the game and shoot two shots from the double rifle on each passing. try this with your favorite 7x65R double or smaller 7x57R or 6.5x57R, then repeat with a 375Flanged or bigger.
I shot both 7x65r and 375F this summer and I know I am capable of shooting two good shots with my 7x65R but no way with my 375 Flanged.

in the olympic double shot, running dder at the 1924 Olympics Norweegian shooter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_Natvig
Won the olympic gold medal with his Gebr. Merke double rifle in caliber 6.5x55 loaded with special 1000 m/s norma ammunition.

se more in the http://www.jaktojagare.se/udda-merkel-dubbelstudsare-for-tavlingsskytte

Now to me the reason for his choice of rifle was that the double rifle in caliber 6.5x55 offered the best possible combination to win medals in the double shot dicipline and basically to hunt for running boar or deer.

Use the smallest legal catridge with Rand or Flange for the game in question. In Europe for boar and deer this would probably be the 6.5x55R. in Africa for buffalo this would be 375Flanged.

The ONLY reason for using my 375Flanged on driven Hunt in Europe is tha I want to know that I master it BEFORE getting into a tight corner somewhere in africa.

Regards, Peter Frost Hørlyck

Contact Us NitroExpress.com