DarylS
(.700 member)
18/01/10 04:22 AM
Re: A.Robertson&Son .500/450#1BPE hammer dr

I applaud your work on this rifle - it's beautiful - simply elegant - but? If you do not need the scope to cover a defective sight, I think this rifle should be shot with irons only. That then becomes the stalking rifle and big game hunting rifle if should be.

Granted 1,900fps with a 350 gr. Hornady (love that bullet myself for deer and moose) you've definitely raised the range possibilities to a good 250 yards on deer - if the rifle is accurate enough and it seems to be.

I suggest working with a cast bullet though, to promote longer life of the tubes & to get another 100fps which almost always happens with cast vs. jacketed.

Too, if stuck on using a jacketed bullet a 405gr. flat nosed bullet like the Remington driven at 1,800fps might also be a possibility - much cheaper than the Hornady's, exceptionally accurate in my guns, and at 1,700fps to 1,800fps, kills like lightening. It's thin jacket expands reliably and the pure lead core holds together like a wad of bubblegum. Incredible game bullet if kept to reasonable velocities. Although I've found the Hornady 350's to be very accurate, the 405gr. RP seems to like punching tiny goups, even smaller than the Hornady. My 'little' Sharps will keep them inside (ie: under) an inch at 100meters for 10 shots using only the tang and globed front sights shot off bags. An incredible bullet for practise on paper and for killing game.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com