404bearslayer
(.300 member)
26/11/09 11:53 AM
Re: Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe DR .470 NE

hanks General,

it is in deed a beautiful gun, but what surprised me most is how well it shoots. I have once read in an article that H&H shoot and adjust a Royal double over several months to eliminate tension and sources of warping in the gun and to make it shoot consistently under varying conditions (especially heat). The authors of the article did test that claim and shot the gun from ice cold to very hot (preheated by radiators) and did find out that, unlike other doubles they had tested, the H&H proved to be immune at whatever change in temperature was thrown at it.

I understood this to mean that it is 'regulated' to minimize warping of the barrels, rather then being regulated to a specific warping profile that a certain type of ammunition might produce. That would of course mean that the gun should shoot well with about any ammunition at any speed (within reason). Well, put it to the test today with a couple of handloads. In deed, same point of impact, same precision as with my Federal factory loads (which was the 'official' regulating load). My factory loads (Federal / Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) clocked 2172 f/s, while a load with GS Custom solid ran at 2220 f/s, for example. No difference whatsoever. I just loaded for the energy level I wanted - done. After shooting some other loads, picked up the still hot gun, and did two unsupported off-hand shots with the GSC bullets at a buffalo-head silhouette at 50 meters - hit square in the middle and grouped a tad under 2 inches. Couldn't be happier.

For people who are interested in it: I will post .470 loads with GSC FN and Hornady DGX bullets in the doubles / nitro express reloading forum.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com