bwanakim
(.275 member)
13/03/08 10:57 AM
Re: Raick Erigis 470

Thanks to all who answered my query. I have sold quite a few guns through George, and J.J. has done quite a bit of work for me on doubles and single shots. Likewise, I have sold guns through WR and bought one from them--a beautiful best quality 461 No. 2 Gibbs Farquharson that was underpriced, believe it or not. They are not really knowledgeable on single shots, as they will admit. Kevin has always treated me well, and is honest when he has doubts, which brings me back to this rifle. He sent me a photo tonight of the barrel markings and honest to God it really does say "RAICK ERIGIS" on one barrel and "LEIGE BELGIUM" on the other. This appears right in front of the quarter rib. I have certainly heard of Raick Freres and appreciate the web link. After looking at this link, could this be a model of gun and not a manufacturer? In other words, made by Raick Freres, but a type or style? WR hasn't shot it, so they can't say anything about its regulation.

I like the engraving style and the fact it is an ejector,so will have to decide whether to wade on in. I've owned a .470 before, a Manton ejector, but sold it as it was short and very ungainly. I sold it three years ago, and when I see how much even ca-ca (Spanish) is going for, I become ill as mine went for a relative song. It even shot well!

A note about Cabela's --I called the store in Post Falls, ID about a 475 No. 2 Wilkes they have. The yahoo I talked to informed me it was black powder proofed. I said "Huh?" He said " yeah, the letters BP are on the barrels." If this was yours, how would you like this expert trying to sell it? At least he now knows this means Birmingham Proof." By the way, it's $31,999. Here in San Antonio, there is a 7X57 Rimmed Rigby sidelock they are asking $50K for. Unfortunately, Rigby never made a DR in that caliber as confirmed by Paul Roberts, and the barrels are marked "Ferlach, Austria." I offered to buy it as a shooter. He said they'd sell it for what they have in it--$38,000! I asked him to keep my name iname just in case. Go figure!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com