9.3x57
(.450 member)
03/03/08 01:28 AM
Re: WWI Sniper Rifle

Quote:

Check out the 3/4" cylinder the round forced out when penetrating, never seen that on "steel".

Depending on the shear strength of the material shot, plugs of steel will be pushed out by bullets under certain circumstances. I used to have a bunch of them around but they must have gotten tossed during one of my rare house-cleaning episodes.

For those who have never seen them, maybe I could set up a plate in front of my Boards & Jugs and recover a few. Using my .375, though admittedly for this post's interest a .577 would be better...

Incidently, Labbett and Mead reference use of various NE rounds in the mad dash to find a decent AP round early on in the Great War, that is to say, they were experimented with. Indeed, they even mention the rechambering of a P-13 .276 to .470!

Immediately previous British efforts had revolved around terminal effect against unarmored targets/enemy while at the same time staying within the "spirit" of the Hague and St Petersburg declarations. These efforts resulted in the production of the 174 grain MKVII bullet after the introduction of the German M1905 bullet obsoleted the MKVI round nose in British service. By the time of WW1, previous Hollow Point bullets had been withdrawn from service and were not on issue for use against European enemies anyway, tho it seems likely that some made their way to the trenches.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com