John
(.300 member)
01/03/08 12:50 AM
Re: WWI Sniper Rifle

Thanks for all the feed back. The warnings for shooting at steel plates are noted, I run a range and have also seen what can happen.

Quote:
As for WD use of oddball guns, the Brit military has something of a hoary old tradition of borrowing any'ole shootin iron and did so early in WW1 for the stated reasons, and later at the begnning of WW2 when we were collecting donated guns in barrels at sporting goods stores, along with binoculars and timepieces for shipment to the UK. I've always wondered how many of those altruistically parted-with guns actually made it to Blighty, as opposed to the gun room of the store owners...

Thank you to all those who gave firearms to the UK durring the start of WW II. My father, as a farmer (Reserved occupation) was in the Home Guard, his first rifle was a very old .303 with a Grenade launcher, then he received a US BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) he felt very well equipped when he was issued with her. We believe it was a gift from the US. All Home Guard weapons in .300 US, as they called the .30-06, had a red painted stripe round them to identify them from the .303 round. Dad then volunteered for RAF and flew as a flight engineer in Liberator bombers in the Mediterranean theatre before training with pathfinders. I expect that BAR was dumped in the North Sea at the end of WW II along with thousands of other small arms.

I will post some more info from Ian Skennerton later today.

Anyone know where I can start in my search for Jeffery factory records that will relate to this .475 Number 2 ?

John

Contact Us NitroExpress.com