DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
26/02/08 03:56 AM
Re: Henry W. Egg BPE

I agree CaptCurl, and the dark line down the spine of the butt stock is not a repare,but looks to be magic marker. This the opinion of Kelly (Mississippian) who looked at the rifle first hand. He said he firast thought it was a repare, but on closer examination, it seemed to be simply a magic marker score, for what reason he didn't know.

I Know Mississippian, personally, and he has an eye for perfection, so I trust his assement on the dark mark. As he said he is a novice where double rifles are concerned,and I too would like to see the proofs on this rifle a little closer, as well a check of "on face" condition. This was not a cheap field rifle, when new, as indicated by the engraving, and the DPLPHIN HEAD hammers, and quality of wood used. The rear sight seems to be after market, and I can't see the front sight. I have a feeling the front sight is dovetailed into the rib it's self, rather than on a ramp.

Kelly is a member of the DRSS, and has been shoping for his first double rifle for about a year. If in as good shape as this rifle seems, pending the outcome of the cast, and slug, it would make a fine old rifle to shoot hogs, and deer with!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com