470evans
(.333 member)
17/02/08 02:24 PM
Re: Rigby double @ Westley Richards

Texas,

I was standing next to Kevin from Westley Richards at DSC when the owner walked up and was deciding if he wanted to consign it to them.

I overheard the owner say he had a Rigby 450 he wanted to move. After looking the gun over I decided to pass. Like Curl, I've never seen or heard of an original Webley built boxlock that had a blued frame. I don't believe that was ever done, but hey, there's always a possibility.

I don't think it's a bad gun, I think it has been run through the refinish mill by someone who shouldn't have been messing with a fine double rifle. I do think it's overpriced for what it is and definately not original. My apologies to David Yale and John Thomas but I think they are wrong. Perhaps a call to Paul Roberts who used to own Rigby would help answer the question on the frame. http://www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/about.htm

I'm not saying don't buy it if your set on it. Good doubles are hard to find, especially in 450 and up. Have Westleys send it directly to JJ at Champlins and ask for his opinion, he will prevent you from making a major mistake.

I've learned some things about Doubles, one is don't get in too much of a hurry. There is always another one available and as soon as you bite on one another one is guaranteed to turn up. Don't regret it when it does, make sure the gun you buy is the gun you want.

470evans

Contact Us NitroExpress.com