mickey
(.416 member)
17/02/08 03:52 AM
Re: 500 NE work?

mngane

A beautiful rifle. Could I get you to also post the pictures in the Double Rifle Photo Forum? That way anyone looking for a nice sidelock Thys can have a gander.

I guess I am the odd man out here but if after you have a new forend made and you are still not happy I would have the barrels shortened to what fits for you. My girlfriend is 5'4" and she also has a harder time with 26" tubes than 24" ones. There is just too much sticking out ahead of her hands to allow here to point easily.

To shorten the barrels they have to be taken completely a part and re built. It is not a case of just cutting off 2" and tweaking the regulation. I would not have the barrels shortened by anyone in the US. Erik Thys is still around and he could get the work done for you in Belgium where the Blacking and the work would be as original and would not effect the value.

A Double should be exactly the way the owner wants it. I had a MT 577 that was barrel heavy and I found, like someone else suggested, that the Murray Leather cartridge carrier on the Butt balanced the rifle perfectly. Just enough weight to make up for the bigger barrels and no stock damage.

I would try very hard to live with what you have though first.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com