LGF
(.275 member)
09/02/08 05:30 PM
Re: In a charge, how close before you fire?

Gentlemen:

Many thanks for your responses. Sinner, NE450No2 gets at the main point – the great majority of charges by nonwounded elephants and lions are ‘mock” – the animal will stop before it reaches you. If you shot every animal who looked threatening at 50 yards you would have a lot of explaining to do. I gather from people who have experience that buffalo don’t waste energy on mock charges; they usually mean it.

NE450No2 gets at all the issues. I am not hunting, just walking, so I usually do not have to worry about wounded animals. Of course, there are some wandering around with spear wounds or snares, and are nearly as cranky as an animal just shot. And this area is thick bush, so things happen fast.

His point on not shooting when the animal is too far is my main concern; you want to let it get close enough to be sure it is serious, and to ensure a decent hit. No one would care if I had to shoot a buffalo, but there would be considerable drama after shooting an elephant; getting squashed might be less painful!

I have not watched the Sullivan videos, but I guess I should. Having walked thousands of miles through buffalo country over thirty years without ever being charged, I must confess to having severe doubts about the ethics of a man who seems able to produce a charge at will. But your point is well taken.

I carry a .470 and practice when in the US, where I can reload ammo. I have no idea how well practice on an IPSC course translates into reality, but at least I am reasonably confident about speed, accuracy and reloading on the move.

Again, many thanks for the excellent advice, and I look forward to input by other people with plenty of experience.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com