DDouble
(.300 member)
31/01/08 11:43 PM
Re: Chapuis Double Rifle Comments Please

Mike,

I have both a 9.3mmx74R and a .470 Brousse.

Both are VERY nice rifles, very well made and to tell you the truth I like them more than several of the old british doubles costing twice as much which I have seen in SCI type shows or friendīs guns that I have handled and shot.

My 9.3mm is a very nice, quite light, handy little rifle. Being light it kicks hard, but is a joy to take around the jungles of south america (and when hunting I donīt even take notice of the recoil). It was regulated with Norma softs, but two days at the range was all it took to regulate it with the woodleights solids which I favor (regulated at 2250 fps it hits really hard).

If you buy the 9.3mm make sure to get the 20gauge barrells with polychokes. It keeps a marvelous balance.

The .470 is very nice, and I prefer its African series sights over the 9.3mm AGEX type sights. I havenīt shot much as I shot all the ammo I had and need to import more, but liked it.

Of course they are not flawless. The triggers were way too heavy to my liking (but without creep). My 9.3mm ejects hard, the way I like it, but the .470 has a bit softer ejection, which needs a bit of change.

Overall, they are way more than you would expect. I think the fact that they are French made deducts an amount (20-40%) to its price compared to a gun of similar quality made in the UK, Germany or the US.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com