Marrakai
(.416 member)
19/01/08 11:53 AM
Re: Guns sold under other maker's name

sakmyk:
I just re-read my previous post and it came across a bit 'abrupt' and that was not my intention: apologies. By 'nothing to do with it' I really imply nothing to do with the design, or that style of double rifle (including holding of patents, etc). The rifle is 100% pure W&C Scott.

In fact, I'd be extremely surprised if Philip Webley ever made a double rifle prior to 1897, on account of his pre-occupation with pistols and revolvers, but I haven't researched this. We are always learning!

As to year of manufacture of my Scott-built Rodda, it is of course unknown but a guess would have to put it in the 1890s and it could be quite close to the year of amalgamation due to the 'CO EX' stamp on the action flats. The cartridge for which it is chambered never made it to full-nitro status, so let's assume pre-1900 manufacture, however the rifle was actually proved after the trade adopted cordite as the standard propellant, perhaps a year or two after the military acceptance of the new propellant in 1888. The patent date of Scott's hammerless "crystal indicator" sidelock is much earlier of course (Pat#3223 of 1875), although that distinctive lock-plate shape did not appear till later. So... 1890 to 1900...?

Apologies for the minor thread hijack, but I trust it all helps to illustrate the point for your original post.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com