JPK
(.375 member)
08/01/08 02:02 PM
Re: how do you prepare

Sinner,

Your post again avoids answering questions originally posted in my earlier posts, and really you made no points. Try rereading your own posts, this will then become clear, even to you.

After three dodges, you do not answer, but imply reluctantly, grudgingly, that one single reasonable answer, a foregone conclussion, that no you can't stand 120 rounds of big bore in a single session. That having been a given, then makes it obvious that your response to my suggestion of using a 22 to learn to shoot offhand was just the drive by, egotictical sarcasm that I noted.

You continue to dodge the question regarding whether you cut your teeth with a 470 or equivelent recoiling rifle. You continue with the red herring about having owned, collected and shot many double rifles over a lifetime. Well and good, but not relevant to learning to shoot off hand, not relevant to learning to do it relatively quickly. The answer to my question is again a given, highlighting the rude sarcasm your post represents.

You report that of the total rounds that you shoot, shotgun vs. big bore double rifle, you shoot 60% shotgun, 40% rifle. The conclussions to be drawn here are that you do not shoot much, or at least that you do not shoot much with a shotgun. It appears that your qualifications regarding your rude response to my suggestion that becoming familiar with any SxS ejector or extractor and any two trigger SxS as well as dynamic shooting are a bit thin, certainly too thin to warrant your sarcasm.

If you are unfamiliar with my double rifles, or at least one of them, and the uses I put them to, it is because your membership here post dates mine by about two years. There have been many threads, some recent, where photos of at least one of my rifles have appeared to show some particular feature as an example or to answer a question.

I have not owned the number of double rifles that you seem to have nor am I interested in serial rifle ownership or collecting either. My interest are predominantly utilitarian. Rifles are tools. The big bore double rifle the the most specialized, the ultimate tool for close range dangerous game, especially elephants, and this is why I own one. I believe that the back action sidelock ejector is the ultimate big bore double rifle as well, and this is why my double rifles are back action sidelock ejectors. I believe that newer made rifles are the better choice, overall, for the hunter as opposed to the collector, and so my back action sidelock ejector double rifles are not vintage collector rifles.

I am asked infrequently about double rifles regarding technical or historical matter, and I refer the questioner to the appropriate party or individual to find the answer to their question. I am asked frequently about hunting, and hunting with double rifles. Some inquiries come from fellows who have read my reports here or elsewhere, some fewer from fellows refered by my booking agency. I answer with facts as I know them or my opinion if the question is within my experience.

I am not an arm chair expert on double rifles, and not an arm chair expert on using a big bore double rifle for its ultimate purpose either. And that is the point, K80 asked a question about preparing for a hunt, and I answered with my opinion based on my experience. You did not, you offered nothing helpful, you offerd only rude sarcasm without any alternative suggestion.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com