DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
23/12/07 06:18 AM
Re: Jungle Gun

The true JUNGLE GUNS were always large bore, and had relatively short barrels. I had an Army&Navy 577 Snider with 22" barrels, it was a hammer gun with fully rifled barrels. It had back action side lock exposed hammer locks, with a Jones under lever action. These were designed for tiger hunting from the back of an elephant, or from a machan built high in a tree, for the drivers to push the cats to the machans. Accuracy was unimportant past 50 yds, and usually were used a off the muzzle shooting! Lighter chamberings were use from machans, than on foot, or from Hawdah, because the tigers tended to try to get in these with you, so the short BIG bores for Howdah!

My rifle was certainly made for Tiger shooting, because it had tigers engraved all over it. It came from India in WW II by my father-in-law. He thought it was a slug shotgun, till he got it home, and found no shotgun shells would fit it. This rifle had a wear pattern around the barrels, and action that indicated it had been placed in a loop in a Howdah much the same as Howdah pistols were. I would love to hear the tales that old rifle could spin! That rifle worked quite well on baited black bear and moose, as well!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com