400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
11/12/07 02:56 AM
Re: Merkel open sights

Quote:

I beg to differ. In fact, his front sight is not what I recommended at all.

The problem with his sights are that the front sight is a fuzzy colored mush.

It's a flat top post with a square notch, and that IS what you recommend. This one is differs from most other Merkels only in color. I've seen a few of these, but most don't have the insert. If you knew anything about the rifles under discussion, you would know that, but you obviously don't. Like I said, almost everyone I know personally that bought Merkels changed the sights to expresses, and I'm referring to the standard sights without the insert.

Quote:

Take a deep breath and read the posts again.

You should do the same.

Quote:

"THE TRADITIONAL OPEN V BACKSIGHT IS A SECOND-RATE CHOICE, FIT ONLY TO SERVE AS AN EMERGENCY STAND-BY. THE 'GHOST RING' APERTURE (JEFF COOPER'S DESCRIPTION) IS VASTLY SUPERIOR UNDER ALL CONDITIONS, FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER." Finn Aagaard, American Rifleman, March 1984, page 76.

I never agreed much with either of those guys, especially about the ghost ring. Again, terrible in poor light. Aagaard also said that a scope was always faster until all conditions, no matter what - the most asinine statement on the subject I've ever heard made. As for Cooper, talk about a military straight-jacket...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com