9.3x57
(.450 member)
10/12/07 01:39 PM
Re: Merkel open sights

Quote:

Correct, and if you'd read his first post, you'd know that he asked his question because he's already experiencing the normal limitations of the poor sights that you repeatedly recommend - the square notch and flat post that comes on Merkels. Re-read his post and look at the photo. The makers use them on these guns not because they're what's best, but because they're cheap. Almost all of the guys I know personally that have bought Merkels have had the same reaction that Mouse did and have had them replaced them with better sights - expresses. You recommended what he already has and doesn't like.

I beg to differ. In fact, his front sight is not what I recommended at all.

The problem with his sights are that the front sight is a fuzzy colored mush. It is in fact not what I recommended and in fact it approximates and does exactly what a round front sight does, at least for my eyes; it provides a hazy reference point, good only for big, clearly defined targets.

Take a deep breath and read the posts again.

Another man's opinion follows. I'll post it again here for the folks reading this one, too.

"THE TRADITIONAL OPEN V BACKSIGHT IS A SECOND-RATE CHOICE, FIT ONLY TO SERVE AS AN EMERGENCY STAND-BY. THE 'GHOST RING' APERTURE (JEFF COOPER'S DESCRIPTION) IS VASTLY SUPERIOR UNDER ALL CONDITIONS, FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER." Finn Aagaard, American Rifleman, March 1984, page 76.

I agree with this. Unable to use a peep due to scope mounts or whatever, however, I'll stick with a big square rear like that on 93Mouse's Merkel, combined with a big square, black front {not the fuzzy, glowing, colored, bead-like plastic thing he wants to get rid of}, or did I say something to that effect already?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com