9.3x57
(.450 member)
08/12/07 11:51 AM
Re: Merkel open sights

Quote:

What in the world do target rifles have to do with Mouse's question? A double rifle isn't a target rifle. It's designed for a completely different purpose.

the British knew what they were doing.

Good quality express sights beat any other metallic sight in poor weather and light conditions badly, especially for those with vision problems like me.

Well, it's good to know you read at least part of my post!

The most important part is that the only person's opinion that matters is 93Mouse's. It's his gun, and if he likes V/Beads or peeps or Battue sights, that's what he should get. I fully grant that he may indeed favor the sights you favor. You do good work with them and so might he.

But most don't.

What do target rifles have to do with it? Why, hitting a target I presume, and that is what I thought we were discussing here; that little speck of something on the shoulder or head or going-away ass of a critter a gent wants to lay down for good. I guess I disagree with you; I think the double rifle is a "target rifle" of sorts and it serves handily, if properly sighted TO THE SHOOTER'S PREFERENCE. Not mine, not your's. The shooter's preference. That is, 93Mouse's preference.

As for the sights on other "target rifles", have you ever seen a Best Ranger Competition? Have you ever qualified on a military range, rifle or pistol? Have you ever seen a pistol competition? If you have, I think you know where I'm headed here. All are competitive, all are speed shooting events and, I apologise...don't bother looking for classic English V/Beads...

Which reminds me. You cite the "Brits". As a half-Irishman and descendant of an Lieutentant in a North Carolina Regiment of the Continental Army, it pains me to give them credit for anything { }, but good heavens, credit where credit is due!

Indeed, I agree with you. They did {and some still do} know a thing or two about shooting and a fellow by the sobriquet of Major EGB Reynolds {know him?} jotted it down in print for us. So let's take them for example. Extensive trials in military service were done with "Express sights" of the wide V rear, bead front from 1900 to 1902. Some troops using such sighted rifles favored them, but ultimately both the trials units and the rifle Board rejected them based on a very diverse shooting program including both white targets with black bullseyes and khaki over earth tone targets. And before you state that this shooting was done by a ragtag mob of conscripts, remember that this testing was done in part by combat tested troops {fresh back from tours in the Second War of Independence in South Africa}, units that made up the pre-WW1 British Army and whose input resulted in arguably the best bolt action battle rifle ever fielded. And yes, much rapid fire and snap shooting was done at all ranges.

The truth is, if I am wrong about the majority of shooters doing better with wide notch rear flat topped front sights {and I have no axe to grind here, to each his own}, I don't have to concede to you, but rather to Jabalihunter and most every Military Ordnance Board the world over, who conclusively have demonstrated that peep rear sights work best for most people, for quick fire and deliberate fire. And good gravy, ditto the Brits, again... See the War Office 1929 Textbook of Small Arms, page 32. And I have seen a peep mounted on a double before. Very sleek {no rear sight mounted on the barrel} and very useful-looking. I believe the peep rear was a custom job, but I don't remember. It was years ago.

Can you do good work with a wide V rear, bead front? I concede you can. I bet you never lose a pig. But can most people? Well, the vast majority of shooting tests for the past hundred or so years indicates they cannot. I find myself in that crowd.

But who cares about me, you or the vast majority of shooters living and long gone. WE don't matter.

Only 93Mouse does, and I'm only giving him my opinion.

He might love your sights. And if he does and can do great work with them, I'm all for them. My point is that on an expensive gun he might do well to shoot a variety of sights first and before he commits to a set that doesn't work out well. That way he can see what he likes and does best with under a wide variety of conditions, and then have that type installed on his gun. I certainly could be wrong, but I believe he'll find himself in the larger group not the smaller group, and that larger group is not the ones that favor classic V/Beads.

I do wish you well, and also 93Mouse in his search for the best sights for him and his hunting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com