400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
08/12/07 07:48 AM
Re: Merkel open sights

Quote:

If anybody has ever heard of or seen the classic English V/Bead used in precision rifle competition to 100 meters and beyond, please post it. I'd love to see it as I have never heard of or seen such a thing.

What in the world do target rifles have to do with Mouse's question? A double rifle isn't a target rifle. It's designed for a completely different purpose.

Quote:

Shooting the smaller game animals {size of the various "buck"} demands quite a bit of precision, precision I've never seen anyone accomplish routinely in the field with a V/Bead 100 or so steps.

That one is over the top. You make something that's easy and routine sound like it's difficult. I've been doing it for 20 years, and hunt with quite a number of guys that do so routinely. At our DRSS pig hunts, we usually take 20-25 hogs using double rifles with express sights, and close shots aren't the norm. We do these hunts twice a year. I've used a double with express sights exclusively for whitetail and mule deer for 20 years now. It works great!

Most people mount a rifle with express sights, look over the sights, insist that they're useless, and never make an attempt to get used to them. They looked the same to me when I got my first set on a .375. They DO take a little getting used to, but not much, and I was quickly amazed at the precision they provided in addition to speed. Designed to be the best choice for both speed and precision, the British knew what they were doing.

Quote:

In clear weather under perfect conditions it certainly can be done, but under the muck and the mire of bad weather or changeable light, that sight is, in my opinion, a serious handicap.

I've found the exact opposite to be true. Good quality express sights beat any other metallic sight in poor weather and light conditions badly, especially for those with vision problems like me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com