9.3x57
(.450 member)
08/12/07 04:56 AM
Re: Merkel open sights

I might add that if you are having a rifle built, and it will involve some large expense, it would be easy first to have a variety of sights installed on some other rifle you may already have. Even a .22. The point is, you could then play around with a variety of sights on a variety of targets and thereby establish what YOU prefer before you go to the expense of having a sight type installed on the custom gun. A mistake there might be costly to remedy.

The sight you have here does appear to be a bit deep for the classic "English Express" sight. A notch at the bottom is NOT part of the classic sight, but as Daryl says, works for him.

Whatever you do, don't do something because somebody insists it should be "just so". This may plague you in the long run. In the final analysis, the only person that matters is YOU, and what you like on your gun. It is easy to get sight blanks. In fact, I've seen plastic dummies available that can be filed or shaped to suit your needs, then you can have you gunmaker duplicate the final design you prefer.

If anybody has ever heard of or seen the classic English V/Bead used in precision rifle competition to 100 meters and beyond, please post it. I'd love to see it as I have never heard of or seen such a thing. Shooting the smaller game animals {size of the various "buck"} demands quite a bit of precision, precision I've never seen anyone accomplish routinely in the field with a V/Bead 100 or so steps. In clear weather under perfect conditions it certainly can be done, but under the muck and the mire of bad weather or changeable light, that sight is, in my opinion, a serious handicap.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com