400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
17/11/07 06:07 AM
Re: My ammo boxes.

Quote:

I see some members like ammo boxes Like I do.
I have only a few.
This is a box of 12 bore cases.

And an unopen box of 6.5mm mannlicher (??) by Eley.

Also a uncoplete box of Eley 24 gauge by Eley.

Hope you like them.
I Would like to know when they were made.

Martin:

They're all quite old. As to the box of 12 bore cases, the Gray's Inn Road facility closed in 1916. What's the address on the box of 24 Gauge?

As to the 6.5 ammo, at a bare minimum, it's 83 years old, and no, it wasn't made by Kynoch. Since you're interested....

Eley Brothers was a London ammunition manufacturer. Their primary competitor was Kynoch, a Birmingham ammunition manufacturer. By 1914, Kynoch was twice the size of Eley.

Both companies devoted their manufacturing capacity to the production of military munitions during WWI. However, Britain endured chronic ammunition procurement problems throughout the war. Because of this, His Majesty's government, realizing that the ability to domestically manufacture adequate supplies of ammunition during wartime was a matter of national security, insisted that the "explosives trades" in the UK be merged into a single entity under common management. Despite the end of hostilities on 11 November, 1918, the amalgamation went forward on November 29. An unintended consequence of the "roll up" of the roughly 40 UK explosives companies into Explosives Trades Limited was that one company, Alfred Nobel's British dynamite company, Nobel's Explosives Limited, was larger than all the other companies combined, leaving Nobel's in a control position, which Nobel's quickly capitalized on. Explosives Trades Limited was reorganized as Nobel Industries Limited in 1920, and by 1924, Nobel had divided it's product line between it's divisions. Eley would continue to make sporting cartridges (the British name for shotgun shells), rimfire, and pistol and revolver ammunition only. All production of metallic centerfire rifle ammunition was transferred to Kynoch, and marketed only under that name. Thus, all Eley centerfire rifle ammunition will predate 1924.

Yes, Eley used a date code system on it's boxes like Kynoch did, but I've never heard of a key to it. Perhaps someone here has it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com