DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
11/02/04 04:33 AM
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles

Very well put, Ray! One thing I would like to ask you, however, is how did you swing that hammer fast enough to get 2150 fps, and 35000 lbs chamber pressure, behind the mild steel bullet?

All kidding asside, I don't know if I believe the rifleing being pushed to the outside of the barrel, but I do think the fact that the bullet being softer than the barrel is not the only thing that must be taken into consideration, to call the displacement of barrel steel an impossibility. My take is, the most probable negative outcome, if any, will be rib seperation! In any event, I will not use them, unaltered, in my rifles, nor will I reccomend anyone else to use them.

I think the so-called pressure ridges are the key to the use of monolithic solids in double rifles. These ridges simply give the displaced engraved metel someplace to go! Into the cuts behind them! This allows them to act more like a lead core bullet, while still maintaneing it's monolithic solid integrity! If you look closely at a Barnes Super Solid, you will see the bareing surface is grouve diameter, while the nose of the bullet is bore diameter. The crimp grouve is also bore diameter. With the pressure rings cut into the bearing surface, slightly deeper than the crimp grouve, or slightly deeper than bore diameter, IMO, would allow the metel being displaced by the rifleing engraveing, a place to go! Into the space between the pressue rings, and thereby makeing them usable in all doubles!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com