Daydreamer
(.224 member)
10/02/04 10:25 PM
Re: 470 NE - My new double!

Christer

Congratulation on your new double!

I'm considering getting a Blaser S2 too. Want to start with a 9,3x74R and when I like the handling of it and feel confident to use this system as DGR I'll get a 500/416 or 500NE barrel set.

I firstly refused to see the S2 as a proper DGR because of the cocking system - after beeing pissed with the trajectory difference of O/U rifles (difference in POI for the first 100 meters), and wanting to have a S/S since I know guns - I'll take the advantage of the barrel setup of the S2 over the ability to faster reload the double.

Even with the slow re-cocking procedunre of the S2 - I know see it that way, that a client hunter doesn't need to high-speed reload a double that much with a PH on his side.
If you are hunting elephant - the PH will shoot (or I will tell him to shoot) when my two barrels have been shot and the ele is still on its feet - then I'll have time to reload and see if I can follow up.

On the other hand I've been able to try the 500NE Krieghof of a friend of mine - didn't fit me like the Blaser - first thing that suprised me was that I automatically de-cocked the rifle everytime I lowered it after shooting - like putting the safety ON.
Second thing that worried me was that my friend told me to immediately shoot the second barrel to prevend trifting the barrels apart.
He also said in a real hunting situation he is supposed to shoot the second shot into the bush if he cant get to shoot the ele/buff to help the barrels stay in regulation!? Sure this is not nessesary with the S2 barrels.

We'll see what the S2 will do in a real hunting situation. I guess the option to shoot several shots without changing point of impact, or beeing able to shoot one shot - reload - shoot what ever barrel suits then - without having to do it in 8-10 seconds and this with repeating accuracy like a good single shot or bolt rifle is a very big bonus!

Again congratulations and prepear for a hard time here to defend your choice of double rifle system.....

Contact Us NitroExpress.com