DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
31/07/07 09:39 AM
Re: Chapuis & Merkel

Taw1126, As Zimbabwe said, the Mod 141 Merkel is imported into the USA, and is a nice rifle.
At our last DRSS hunt/shoot get together Brain1 had his there and it was super accurate! His was a 9.3X74R, with two triggers, and fiber optic sights, and ejectors. His has the adjustable regulation feature, and is scoped with a 2-7X40 scope. The barrels are i 1/2 inces shorter than my 140-E Merkel, and about two lbs lighter, which I don't care for, in a rifle chambered for the 9.3X74R!

Zimbabwe's 141 is chambered for 8X57 IRS and in that chambering the rimless, cartridge, and the single trigger doesn't bother me at all, but for the larger chamberings, I like double triggers, and rimmed cartridges, and a little more weight. You won't go wrong with the Merkel, or the Chapuis, but I'd opt for the 9.3X74R chambering, with double triggers, and ejectors. If you want a mod 140-1, or a 140-E Merkel you can see if the importer will consider getting you one! They are still made, and sold in Europe, and a used one will be hard to pry loose from it's owner! Don't believe the rumor that Merkel is makeing the barrels for Chapuis, but they could not do no better,if they were, because Merkels cold hammer forged barrels are top notch, but then so are Chapuis barrels which are hammer forged as well, and are drilled from over size stock in their plant in France.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com