maddenwh
(.224 member)
30/07/07 09:35 AM
Re: New Double Cartridge needed??

I believe these pressure discussions are just nonsequitters from the original discussion. I don't think an american double needs to be invented because I think the 9.3X74R is a fantastic round for big game in the lower 48 and otherwise. My Chapuis double has ejectors, shoots fairly tight groupings at one hundred yards, and has relatively little recoil (i don't even have a pad on mine). I generally shoot 286 grain bullets at around 2450 fps. There is versatility in bullet size, and if one reloads, the cost aint that bad. I wouldn't be afraid to load it with 300 grain bullets and go after grizzly, and I wouldn't have any concers regarding meat damage if shooting deer or antelope. However, the trouble with adjusting the loads on a double is that you have to relearn your sights and shot groupings with new loads.

If one had to invent a new double load, I think the best option would be a 35 cal with ballistics in between the 358 winchester and the 350 remington magnum. A good 200 grain bullet moving at 2600 fps would be a perfect double rifle american load. It takes anyting in the lower forty eight, doesn't have much recoil, and puts a nice big hole in the target. This wouldn't be a long range cal, but who shoots a double past 2 hunsky anyways?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com