400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
11/07/07 02:20 PM
Re: dolls head?

Ben:

It's hard to tell just from one photo. I'd sure have it gone over by a third party pro.

Lyon & Lyon, Army & Navy, Manton & Co...they were all retailers, and all used various trade makers so it's hard to generalize. I'd have to say that I've seen fewer Lyon & Lyon rifles that I'd have been happy with than A & N or Manton. However, because they each used a variety of trade makers, each rifle must be evaluated on it's own in terms of original quality. This is where being able to identify the trade maker can help.

Generally, Army & Navy and Manton are comparable because they used many of the same trade makers. Most A & N's are Webleys, but they also used Westley Richards, Osborne, Wilkes, etc. I'd say a lower percentage of the Manton's are from Webley, and some of Manton's stuff came from the Continent. Both sometimes used British suppliers that I haven't been able to identify.

Speaking in terms of the original quality of their double rifles GENERALLY...in my view, on average...Army & Navy, Manton, and Lyon a distant third.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com