9.3x57
(.450 member)
18/06/07 10:31 PM
Re: Proof loads

Vinnie:

As I read this post over again it seems to me there are two "camps" of thought surrounding the proofing of a gun.

It seems some might assert the only way to proof a gun is to have it done by a proof house. The other seems to assert that some practical form of proofing can be done by an individual.

My opinion is that there is some value in having the proof done by a proof house in that a little stamp can always be pointed to if you should ever want to sell the gun or if someone should ever be injured or hurt in the firing of it. In fact, depending on where the gun is being used, there may indeed be legal requirements to have the gun proofed.

Having said that, as a practical matter I believe some have misplaced faith in the process. A proof house stamp does NOT mean a gun is "safe". It only means it was capable of handling a certain load on a certain day. Read the thread and you'll get the gist of that.

So I believe you CAN prove your own gun. As mentioned above, we all do it all the time when working up new loads and in the USA when guns are rebarrelled, custom-made, etc.

Some may have differing opinions as to the validity of proof house proof, but I am going to guess that most or all of us will agree that if you do not have the gun proofed at a proof house you are on your own and must concoct a load and a procedure. I doubt anyone is going to say "Do this, this and this and you will be safe". At least I won't!

As a practical note regarding the .45-70, it is a perfect example of a cartridge that is "proofed" by individuals all the time. Factory ammo from Remington and Winchester is typically of the "Trapdoor Acceptable" variety, yet other custom ammo is available and many common and standard handloads are used which I suspect considerably exceed "Remchester" pressures all the time. Right there you are going to have to decide whether your gun is going to handle 15k cup stuff or double that on a regular basis. Am I going to have a clue whether your home made double will handle loads I commonly shoot in my Marlin? No way...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com