DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
14/06/07 01:50 AM
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r

Zimhunter is correct, the old Valmet 412, or the newer TiKKA, which is basiclly the same rifle,and was made for a time by SAKO, but was later contracted out to be made in Italy.
I had a couple of these, and Zim is right they are cheaper than any S/S double rifle, as are most O/U double rifles. I had one of the Valmet 412s factory chambered for 375 Winchester, with a 1-12 twist. I rechambered it for the 375 JDJ, or 375-444, same cartridge with a different name. adjusted the regulation for 300 gr .375 bullets, and soldered it permently, and installed ribs between the barrels. The rifle worked like a charm, but I simply wanted a S/S double rifle and sold it, and bought an old A&N 450 NE double.

If you order a new Tikka, order it with two triggers rather than the single trigger. This rifle cocks both barrel when broken open, so you can carry a soft point in the bottom barrel, and a solid in the top barrel. With this rifle you may fire either barrel at will. Most O/U doubles only cock the bottom barrel when broken open, and the top barrel is cocked by the recoil of fireing the bottom barrel. They are good buys, but i'd save a little longer and buy a S/S Merkel, or Chapuis. It will last you a life time, so pro-rated over time they are cheap! ,,,,,,,,And $4000 for a double rifle is CHEAP any way you cut it!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com