DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
12/06/07 12:26 AM
Re: Recommendations needed for an entry level DR in 9.3x74r

DougK 400, and 450#2 are correct,and you can't go wrong with any advice they give you where double rifles are concerned. However, the Chapuis is not the only brand that will serve you well, though they are top notch. In the S/S double rifle configuration, that will not break the bank, but will last you a life time of service, also includes the Merkel Mod 141, and the older 140E.

The older 140E is a very well made little rifle, and is a little more of a classic double rifle, with it's barrels being regulated at the factory, and are perminetly fixed, with 24" hammer forged shoe lump barrels, with a top rib extention with a Greener cross bolt, and double under bites. The action is a Anson Deely action clone,with side clips, and side bolsters, and is case colored,with only light simple engraveing. They usually have fairly nice wood!

The Mod 141 is a very new rifle for Merkel, and is much lighter than the 140E, with 1" shorter barrels that are thinner to save weight, but are regulation adjestable, if that interets you, it doesn't interest me at all. To me the adjustable regulation is just something to go wrong at the most inopertune moment. The actions are the same, except the 141 is made on the 28 ga size action, and the 140E is made on the 20 ga size action. Right here let me tell you the rifles are made on rifle strenth actions, and the shotguns are made on the same action. What this means is Merkel has only to make one action for both rifel and shotgun, the only difference being size for the chambering! IOW, Merkel shotguns are made on rifle actions, not the reverce! The 141 has a different rib, then the 140E. The 140E has a full length streight rib, while the 141 has a rib likt the Merkel African Express rifles, with a built-in quarter rib, and ramp front sight. The 141 aslo is fitted with fiber optic sights, while the 140E is a patridge front post, and square notch rear sight, with no plastic any place othet than the butt plate, and grip cap.

Both these rifle are well made, and will still be shooting when your grand kids are leting their kids borrow them. The price of these rifle are lower than the Chapuis,and are as well made, but are not as shiney! Other than the shiney finish, I see no justification for the higher price, in a working double rifle!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com