9.3x57
(.450 member)
11/06/07 10:47 PM
Re: Spartan s/s

A .50 AK double sounds pretty interesting since due to increased case capacity a guy might be able to run heavy .45-70 type loads at much less pressure than that generated by the full house .50 AK. I know the guns take 50K psi loads from other rounds, but isn't the backthrust of a .348 Win case head size at 50K a little worrisome to anyone?

I realize they are not exactly the same thing, but as for regulation, I used to own three Baikal combo guns, all over-unders; one .30-06/12 ga, 2 7x57R/12 gauges. All sold in a flurry of horse tradin'.

I easily got the .30-06 and one of the 7x57R's to put a rifle bullet, rifled slug and buckshot pattern printing POA at 25-30 meters which was fine for me. The third 7x57R was pure unadulterated misery. I had both elevation and windage problems no amount of ammo swapping or barrel-monkeying would fix. Since at that point the third gun was all I had, I gave up on them as an unregulated two-barrel gun is dang near worse than a handful of rocks in my opinion. EAA couldn't fix the third combo gun either.

I have since read of a lot of regulation problems with these guns, to which the wise man says of course "Ya get what'cha pay for."

Nevertheless, I have a soft spot for them. My then 13-year-old son used one to "bayonet" a small bear that was literally at my ankles and which had already taken all six rounds from my .44 revolver. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind getting another and giving it another whirl. I have read of but not seen side-by-side 7x57R's from Baikal and such would be welcome here as I still have lots of ammo in that caliber.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com