Ripp
(.577 member)
05/06/07 01:46 PM
Re: Heym 88B Safari in .470 or .500 N.E. ?

Quote:

I agree that ammo availability is not an important factor since I reload for all my guns, but the .470 has this advantage on her side, to be fair.
And I am sure the .500 has considerably more stopping power but on the other side the difference can`t be huge, and shot placement is what counts anyway.
After reading Your comments it looks like the .470 is the better choice.
Thank You Gentlemen

Kalunga

Wicked good hunting !!!

Just to be different, I would choose the 500. The reason I say this is I have shot several 470's and 500 nitro's--with the exception of the Merkels, I really didn't think there was that much difference. Not sure if the Merkel didn't fit me well or what, but they are some of the hardest kicking doubles I have ever shot.

As to ammo availability, I totally agree with others in that I would not base my decision on that --the .470 is just a 500 necked down so the brass for the 500 should be around as long as the 470 is.

As to stopping power, the 500 has around a 14% to 15% increase in knock down power (muzzle energy)--while I have not yet had the opportunity to hunt with a .500--everyone who has, all the way back to J.A Hunter, all agree the .500 Nitro has a decided advantage over the .470. These as include Taylor, Boddington and Weiland. As they have shot more game than probably the rest of us put together, IMHO, I respect their stand on the matter.

No matter what you choose, I am sure it will be of great joy to you.
Thank you and good luck.
Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com