400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
25/05/07 01:11 AM
Re: New Steel vs Old steel

Quote:

The Brits followed one line of reasoning when it comes to weight and balance. Often we see the Continentals with another line of reasoning.

Yes, the Brits placed high value on "weight between the hands" while the Teutonic makers placed great weight on slimness above all with little regard for weight distribution and handling dynamics. Their respective formulas were fully evolved over a century ago, and are still in place today. Nobody who knows the market, then or now, would realistically want to argue that it wasn't the British formula that won the hearts and minds.

Quote:

In my opinion a 10 lb. .303 Brit. is WAY over weight, yet it is common in the British trade. As a comparison we see zillions of 7.5 to 8.0 lb. 8mm rifles out of Germany and Austria. Say what you want, but I'll prefer the light 8mm's. I think they are just perfect in their class, and the Brits never got the concept.

Neither an accurate nor a well informed comparison. Sure, you can find 10 lb .303s out there, but they're certainly not the rule. Westley has an old one for sale right now thats 9 lbs with the scope, so will be under 8 without.

The British .303s were the first full nitro doubles, and were being built at a time when almost no other smokeless rounds were being built in doubles. This was also a period (1887-1899) when a full appreciation for the strength of modern fluid steels was still evolving, so some were built heavier than needed. What isn't well known today is that a substantial majority of the .303 doubles still in circulation today are from that early period, because the manufacture of new .303 doubles slowed to a tiny trickle after the .303 was banned in India in 1899.

Quote:

I see no reason why a .450/.400 can't be handy at 9.0 lbs. It doesn't kick that much. We see many bolt guns in .375 H&H Mag that weigh 8.5 lbs. and don't take issue with them.

I do.

Quote:

In summary, the 10.0 lb and up standard of British DR's is a mystery to me.

That's because it didn't exist. There are lots of mediums and small bores that weigh substantially less.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com