Grizzly
(.333 member)
24/05/07 08:02 AM
Re: New Steel vs Old steel

I think for the top Brit makers, this is true. They tested the hell out of the barrels to insure they would not be a problem.

One big advantage I see in modern steel is a lower level of impurities. I should say possible impurities. The process is a function of the type ore used (and where it comes from), the quality of additives (like coke - the coal derivitive, not the plant) and modern methods of testing and quality control.

I am sure that there was a lot of QC done for the older Brit steel, and probably a fair share of rejects.

The Brits had some rigorous testting protocol. One dead hunter was all they needed to advertise for the competition.

And it comes full circle - the quality on the better Brit doubles is there - but to get there required more trial and error and actual testing.

One would THINK that the modern steel making process would keep the cost of a new double down. And it probably does, to some extent.

But, the process of building a high quality double still involves over 1000 man hours, start to finish. So a $75,000 rifle costs you about $75 an hour in labor. When you think about it, not a bad deal considering your plumber probably makes that much!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com