dnovo
(.333 member)
15/05/07 10:35 PM
Re: if only I had the money

There is nothing wrong with a scope on a DR, and I have one now on a new Merkel 160 in 500NE. Why would you do that, you say? Eyesight is often a function of age, and a low power, bright and light scope will let you acquire a target faster than alinging ancient (59years)eyes on a bead a couple of feet down the barrels. Indeed, I tried a friend's Heym 470 with a large diameter 1X red dot claw mounted (as is my scope) and it was ligthing fast on picking up the aimpoint. Of course, these were all either factory claw mounts and regulated there or set up by the importer's gunsmith, who is factory trained and took the rifle with scope and intended load and made sure it was shooting to the intended point of aim before shipping. Removal, like most claw mounts, was fast and did not interfer with point of aim over the iron sights. As my signature says, time does indeed wound all heels and while I still shoot pretty damn well with open sights (I can still whoop my son's butt with a 1911 at 25yds) aging eyes need all the help they can get.

But scope a beautiful old DR that did not come with scope mounts? Hell no! Take a look at the marvelous scroll work and engraving along the top of the barrels in the photos. Why cover that up, or why screw around with a nicely-preserved bit of history adding anything?

My view is that we don't own our vintage rifles, we are merely the custodians until we pass them on when we do the same. I feel that way about several of my vintage doubles, just as I do with my collection of vintage Sharps. Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com