Grizzly
(.333 member)
19/04/07 12:34 PM
Re: Marcel Thys 470 Fair Price?

You have to wonder who is setting the prices at Cabelas and Bass Pro. I seriously doubt they have one employee each that knows squat about double rifles.

The last few doubles I have seen priced at both places were way out there price-wise.

At the DSC this past January, the rep from Cabelas was crowing to anyone who would listen about how Cabelas is the "largest double rifle seller in the US". Right.

As for the MT pictured, aside from the cosmetic comments earlier, the rifle is about 2 pounds too heavy for a 470 NE. Also, the LOP is SHORT, even with the fairly large recoil pad. It is a nice piece of wood, but adding spacers to extend the LOP would do nothing for the looks.

Nice engraving and wood, but if I recall correctly Griffen and Howe sold one of the last Thys boxlocks (458?) for around $18,000. In the proper weight and LOP. Definitely not a $22,000 difference.

And Marcel is no longer a manufacturer. That makes spare parts and shop work an issue, and of course they is no warranty to speak of.

I think $30,000 is generous. And for that money you could pick up a first rate Heym in 470 and have enough money for a trip to Africa.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com