dnovo
(.333 member)
18/04/07 03:04 AM
Re: Marcel Thys 470 Fair Price?

I love the whole concept of 'if its from the UK then it is the best/only DR out there.' Not so. First, you aren't going to get a new or even close to new Purdey, H&H or top quality WR for "$40,000." But why assume that if it's not UK it is not a great DR? Have you taken a good look at some of the Ferlach guns that are currently being produced? Hartmann and Weiss?

Sure, the UK produced guns have the 'proper'cachet and normally have excellent resale, but there are a whole bunch of marginal and tired UK DRs floating around that are priced much higher than a pre-WWII Sauer, Merkel, etc in far better condition and showing basic build quality that meets or exceeds the average UK double. Even after the 'big war', Ferlach and Suhl quality could match that of the UK makers. Indeed, I have a Josef Winkler that has fit and finish and wood that are UK 'best gun' in every sense of that term. While I will concede the Continental penchant for heavy game scene engraving is not my taste, this rifle has wonderfully executed fine, tight rose and scroll and detachable sidelocks with internals that are as much a work of art as the locks on my 476 WR Droplock. The best part is price, a whole lot less than a UK best quality would bring.

But I digress (ya get wording as ya become an old fart.) A top quality Belgian/French/German/Austrian DR will bring good money in today's market, and will bring in the $30,000+ range. But IHMO, it will bring that price if it is a sidelock. If you can get that for a boxlock, bless you, but that is higher than I would pay. Too many excellent UK AND Continental boxlocks out there for a lot less. Thys is generally a well built and respected name but it is not a 'name' I would pay extra for.

Dave

Contact Us NitroExpress.com