atkinson6
(.375 member)
28/01/04 02:58 PM
Re: 505 Gibbs versus 500 NE

I would get a Searcy PH model in 500 N.E. over a 505 Gibbs in a bolt gun....I think about $9500 and its a real nice gun, fine wood and very tasteful engraving. I like the dull finish SS action as it does not rust the face of the action in Tanzania like blue steel will, thats always been a problem with extended stays for me....

I have one in a .470 and its my first non-english double gun and it is the best shooting doublegun I have owned, and I have been lucky with accurate doubles.....I just really like this gun....and its a good deal stronger than the old English guns, will shoot monolithics and touches 2 shots at 50 every time without fail so far.........

You can't compare any bolt gun to a fine double, it's two different worlds and never the twain shall meet...

A good English type 505 Gibbs on a Mauser 20 or Enfield or one of the many nice Mauser 20 clones being built today is a fine gun and as practical as a 505 can get for hunting. but the double is the DGR of choice with anyone with smarts!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com