400NitroExpress
(.400 member)
24/01/04 06:05 AM
Re: Homogenious bullets and doubles

I have, and it was a sad, painful experience that really opened my eyes. My consolation was twofold - the rifle belonged to a good friend and hunting partner, and not to me, and I warned him about it, but he insisted. I did much of the shooting myself. It was as lovely a Westley Richards as you could want. The barrels were ruined with Barnes X bullets, a grand total of about 50 rounds. I'll never again pull the trigger on an X bullet in ANY rifle that belongs to me, double or otherwise.

Since then, I use only conventional lead core bullets in my doubles, ususally Woodleigh or Hawk. I shoot steel jacketed solids sparingly, and there is no earthly need to do otherwise. I also assiduously avoid any bullet with a monometal section - Trophy Bonded Bearclaws (solid shank), Swift A-Frame (the partion in the middle means that this bullet is homogenous for a short section; also, the shank of this bullet is as hard as a pair of good quality woodpecker lips), etc. At nitro express velocities, these bullets offer no advantage over conventional bonded lead core bullets such as the Woodleigh. The risk of damage comes with no offsetting gain. It isn't worth it.

I've read Gregor Wood's dubious tome and if I remember correctly (I thought so much of the book that I gave it away, so I can't verify), he perpetuates the lie that this is an "antique" double rifle problem only. New doubles can be damaged by homogenous bullets just as easily as the old and I know of several new rifles that have been.
---------------------------------

Contact Us NitroExpress.com