luv2safari
(.400 member)
22/01/04 09:14 AM
Re: Valmet 412 and Tikka 512 Double rifles

I have, and use a wide variety of the Valmet System guns and barrels. Tikka did make a double trigger receiver; I have one. I used in Tanz with 9,3 o/u barrels and 320 gr Woodleighs to take a decent buffalo. I just told the game scout it was a 375 Flanged. He didn't know the difference. Neither did the buff...ran off 30 yards and gurgled loudly...died. My 416 Rigby doesn't kill'em any deader.

The double trigger receivers are hard to find, and I was glad to get mine. I bought it new as a Tikka 412 with 12/9,3x74r, just for use in Africa and love the gun! Took a bunch of Francolin and plains game with it. There is no more versitile system around for such a moderate price. I much prefer it to my overpriced Merkel 204 two barrel set...stacked 9,3's and a set of 16 gauge over 8x57jr w/Goertz 4x in claws. The Tikka and my other various Valmet and Tikka combinations shoot rings around the pre war Merkel.

I am a bit of the same mind about a true double rifle being a SXS, but the o/u's have one great advantage. One can "regulate" them by changing the front or rear sight height. YOU WON'T get away with that in a SXS. They move at 10, 2,4, and 8 'o clock when ammo changes. The o/u just moves at 12 and 6. For me, an o/u is quicker to get on target with, but it sure can be a bitch loading that bottom barrel while running to beat hell...after or away from some jerked off critter!

As for the weight in exact pounds and ounces...too darned heavy for a 9,3!!! Then add that hunk of scope mount, and you'll be handing the rifle to a tracker to carry for a while.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com