sakmyk
(.224 member)
10/01/07 07:03 AM
Re: Guns sold under other maker's name

Marrakai & Rusty,

thanks for your enlightening replies! At first I must make a linquistic correction that may be required.

When reading the last words of Marrakai's reply, it occurred to me that my expression ’certain evidence’ means something that is ’for sure’ – at least primarily so, I guess. What I meant to say is that there is 'certain kind of evidence', i.e. things that indicate to the existense of this Rodda-Purdey link but not confirm it. That’s what I meant to say. Sorry for this inaccuracy in my text.

With the evidence I referred to I mean a selection of minor issues, which together may insinuate to a connection between them. There is sometimes conspicuous resemblance in design, in technical details and in decoration, for example. Patent use may give some clues. Furthermore, there is also a possible link via Lawrence family, but I have to say that I’m not too familiar with these subjects so far. My lack of knowledge is actually the main reason to continuously harass you with these inquiries

This Rodda 16-bore is fitted up with a Purdey second patent thumbhole lever, and as I started to search examples of other firearms where this kind of break lever was used, I realised that there are sometimes noticeable similarities in general appearance and in details between this rifle and some Purdeys’ products from the 1870s or so. I’ve discussed this topic also here, and there are some pics that I came across. Also the patent issue is clarified there by much more knowledgeable persons than myself.

This Rodda DR is also equipped with rare cartridge indicators, which is a Purdey patent from 1866.

It is, however, possible that I’m well off the track here, and those similarities tell nothing but the fact that already at that time it was profitable for the less famous makers to copy the best selling and most valued items.

Regards,
Saku

Contact Us NitroExpress.com