Marrakai
(.416 member)
01/01/07 10:37 AM
Re: R.Rodda ?

Rodda certainly did have 'premises' in Birmingham, though I'm not sure they were factories as such. They were listed at 50 Stafford St in 1908-09, 24 Whittall St from 1910 to 1931, 10 Vesey St from 1932 to 1939, and 17a Steelhouse Lane in 1940. They were listed as 'exporters'.

Neither Nigel Brown nor Douglas Tate give them any press whatsoever as Birmingham 'makers', though admittedly those authors' fine publications are biased towards the shotgun industry. Rodda DRs are (were) fairly common in Australia, almost all imported from India, and they constitute a disproportionate share of the second-hand double rifle market here, considering their omission from Tate's and Brown's texts. That is further cause to question how many they actually made themselves.

Most of the Rodda DRs I have seen appear to have been made by the trade, the only one in my collection at the moment is clearly a W. & C. Scott & Son .500 Express. In my experience, which is perhaps parochial, Mickey's assertion that 'Rodda is a good name' holds true, as I have not examined any that were 'of a particularly uninspiring standard'.

I have not examined the gun in question, however game scene and scroll engraving, engraved trigger guard and grip-cap, fluid steel chopper-lump barrels, pancake cheek-piece and pad, in a brass-mounted oak and leather case with maharajah provenance, does not sound 'uninspiring' to me!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com