Grizzly
(.333 member)
06/12/06 10:05 PM
Re: BLASER S 2 LUXUS

In the end, it is your investment and your decision.

As for my opinion, I would not own one for a hunting rifle.

Before I acquired my first double, I looked long and hard for a couple of years on what was out there. Used, new and all makers.

I decided to buy new much for the same reason you have given. Plus the fact that a decent English rifle in my taste range was a lot more than the newer rifles.

I looked hard at the S2. The wood is superb. And fit and finish are first class.

However, the Blaser, a lot like a Kreighoff, does not cock the hammers upon closing the breech. It has a manual cocking mechanism. After you load and close the breech, you must then move the external cocking lever to get the rifle ready to fire. That take time, and when hunting, time is a commodity you cannot get back.

I also passed on doubles with automatic safeties. Again, an extra step where you have to disengage the safety each time you reload.

Blaser had some very slick marketing for the S2's here in the US and "donated" many to groups like SCI and the Dallas Safari club for convention raffles. They got a lot of exposure. I believe they are still doing that.

The initial prices were much higher than they are today. To me, that tells me that their sales are not up to par.

If you want a dangerous game rifle, simple is better.

I passed on the Blaser and the Krieghoff. I ended up buying a Heym Safari. And I'm glad that I did.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com