EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
16/11/06 12:33 AM
Re: WTK: Making a Howdah double ...need some thoughts

I love the idea! Wish it was me making it!!! Ive thought about it, and when I finally find the extra $$$, I think Im going to go with a muzzel loader. The start up investment is significatly cheaper, (well under $1000 vs. over $3000 for a 45-70 Kodiak), plus theres no tax stamp or government paperwork. The muzzel loader is historically correct, even if not as much "fun".

Ive debated about the various 10 and 12 gauge muzzel loader reproductions and the Pedersoli double rifle muzzel loaders. The shot guns are cheaper and more manufactures make more models. Round balls are easily avaliable as well as some slugs. I suppose if you really wanted to go all out, you could have a custom mold cut for a tight fitting conical.

The Pedersoli Rifle muzzel loaders are available in 50, 54, 58, and 72 calibers. The draw back to these are the straight stocks. Im not a "wood" guy but it seems to me for all the hassel of the tax stamp you should be able to make a new stock with a pistol grip. Then youd have a modern made historically correct gun.

Best of luck! Keep us informed!!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com