Michael
(.275 member)
14/10/06 09:36 PM
Re: Pedersoli rifles?

Hi All,

I saw this post yesterday but decided to hold off on replying until after I had taken my new (seconhand) Pedersoli 8x57JRS for a run at the range today.

I do not know what the rifle has been regulated with but had some handloads that I purchased with the rifle and some newly arrived factory Norma ammo. The handloads were two different sorts 125gr@2600fps; 175gr@2300fps (as written on the inside of the ammo box by the previous owner); and the factory ammo was listed as 196gr@2395fps as per the box.

Without going into the detail of each target shot the general concensus was that the Pedersoli grouped each bullet together on the target regardless of load. The only problem was that this group was about 3 - 4 inches low and another 1 - 2 inches to the right. Target after target was the same. I was shooting off a bench at 50 yards using the iron sights.

On my last target for the day I changed the way I used the sight. I held the forsight very, very low in the notch on the rear-sight. So low in fact that the bead was barely visible and then I held a little high on the target as well. The end result can be seen in this photo of the eight shot group.

As you can see the group is still low but I believe that the grouping is exceptional (well better than I expected) for a cheap double rifle. Certainly no evidence of key-holing or any other issues that have been spruiked about on here and elsewhere.

Regardless of this the rifle just feels right in the hands on a hunt and is a great entry level rifle for us newbie double rifle enthusiasts.

I look forward to any suggestions or experience that you guys may with the low shooting iron sights. My own opinion after today is that I may have to talk to a gunsmith to see what we can do to replace the forsight with something lower, or use the first standing leaf and aim a bit lower but this really isn't my preferred option.

Thanks,

Michael.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com