NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/09/06 06:09 AM
Re: 9.3x74 DOUBLE vs 375H&H BOLT-WHICH IS BEST??

All round "African" rifle?

As the 9.3 won't be legal in many African jurisdictions I would go for a calibre starting] with the .375.

If the ranges are going to be over 100 metres, then many hunters will require a scope.

Also a scope helps if shooting in a herd situation or if shooting in a heavy brush situation where one may need to see twigs or small branches in the way.

Of course a scope could be mounted on a double rifle set up properly for one.

Also how many double rifle owners actually use their rifles with confidence at ranges such as 200 metres or 250 metres?

I know NE450No2 has (at approx 270 yards) but rarely (or never) have I read anyone else having done so on the net.

I prefer to take shots with my doubles at closer range (buff at 100 metres or less) or larger targets. But I am keen to develop loads/rifle with the ability to handle longer shots at smaller game as I prefer to take only one rifle on a hunt from now on.

If the only shot possible is at longer range it might be necessary to miss out and go home empty handed.

A .375 or a .500/.416 in a double might be a good compromise.

A .375 H&H bolt with scope can probably be setup to handle all the situations (within reason) one can expect, much easier.

Just some (heretical - for NitroExpress.com) thoughts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com