DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
20/09/06 07:44 AM
Re: Have we lost sight of the reason and fun of DR's

I think all who have had a yen to own a double rifle since a young age, never forget what the double rifle is, or what it was made for! Old steel, and wood just has a feel that trained fingers can detect in total darkness. Nothing else feels like that.

The ballance, and pointability of a good double rifle, be in old or new, is something that is rarely duplicated in any other type of rifle. This is added to, by the real utility of the double rifle as a "HUNTING RIFLE" that has no military background, but was a sporting rifle from the very start.

As someone already said there is that "IF THIS RIFLE COULD TALK" mistique, that sets the holder to dreaming of days gone by, and exotic places, when seemingly iron men, walked amoung the beasts of the world, beast that could, and were, and are still quite willing to make you into a page in recent history.

The double rifle is, most times, only associated with dangerous game, but it is far more than that, it is after all a hunting rifle that is chambered for cartridges from the little rook rounds to 2 ga rifles, and are as at home in the deer woods, as they are in the path of a chargeing elephant, depending on chambering. There is no other rifle, in my view, that says "HUNTING" better than a good double rifle.

Today, a great deal of the fun of owning a double is it's care and feeding, and the researching of the older ones. In this area, no other type of rifle has been so documented regarding it's history, and ownership.

Though I love all types of sporting firearms, nothing in the firearms history, holds the pride of ownership as does the S/S double rifle! FORGET??? Absolutely not, not in this life time!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com