Bonde
(.333 member)
12/09/06 01:16 AM
Re: BEST ENTRY LEVEL 470 DOUBLE--PREFERENCES??

I've got a Merkel .470, and I'm very satisfied. I had a gunsmith to do some work on the triggers, and ended up with a very nice handling DR. It now has a trigger pull weight of about 4 pounds, also the "fangs" has been adjusted aswell, so it won't double because of recoil (unless I let the finger go back and pull the second trigger myself..) It regulates nicely, within 50mm at 50m if i manage to hold steady.. And I dare say it's worth every penny I spent..! I might've been lucky getting a good rifle, as Merkels seem to be a bit uneven qualitywise...? Mine wasn't perfect, but very good beeing a working double, and for a low total cost!

Here in Norway we don't have the choice of Searcy's splendid DR's , if I had, it would be my first choice. I recon they are better than Heym and Chapuis. As for guarantee, NO guarantee is better than the firm issuing them. When Butch Searcy gives such a guarante he is very confident that he doesn't sell crap..!

The best DR's are the old british ones, no doubt, but they are out of my financial reach (and most others too?), so they are just no alternative for most of us. No entrylevel double should be compared to them...........

Find out how much You can spend, and look for the best buy for money! A new one would probably be a searcy? In my example I found it to be a Merkel that had hardly been used ,and with upgrades, for less money than a new standard. I guess some shop for a rifle before they find out it kicks too much.. Be sure to try one first

Caliber: Choose a caliber that are not to obscure.. .470 has great secondhand value. A .450 does'nt.. The 450 is cheaper to shoot as you use the .458 bullets. Thats about the only advantage I see about the round compared to a 470. The chamberpressure is higher than the 470..

We are probably on the top as to popularity to doubles. It has never been more doubles around than now, and the standard of living is very high. I belive we've seen the top of it, and I don't expect there will be a market for other calibers than the most common ones in "entrylevel doubles" some years from now. We'll probably have .400or 416R .470 and 500, perhaps 577. That's my guess. For vintage guns the situation is different..

Mine is in 470, and I know that it will be easier to sell if I choose to move up to a .500. The thought has struck me more than once

To sum up:

Find yourself a double that is well worth the price regardless of make, and you're more likely not to loose money on it if you later choose to sell it.Find one that fit you well, regardless of make, and you'll be able to shoot it aswell It is an entrylevel double, so no one should expect it to be a fine british best gun that will increase in value.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com