empirevr
(.375 member)
08/09/06 09:23 AM
Re: 8 bore vs 4 bore

Thankyou Daryl and 'nitro

I realise that its not about ft lbs,but also realise this is a factor to some extent too....but,i have no idea how powerful the .577 bpe was/is...no info may be found online,not for ft lbs or fps....

I also cannot find any info on it being used for such a purpose,yet i agree it must have been.....i once sorely missed a 500x3" rhodda, now this in itself says nothing,but the thing is.....it was high relief engraved with buffalo.....and yes,elephant.

Now perhaps someone just wanted this on it,but if my memory serves me well the guns are usually engraved appropriately enough as per their calibre and capabilities.

Excuse my leaving the subject there.......

8 bores seem ever so much more affordable than 4 bores also, and ammunition is much more readily available as are dies and moulds and such.

I guess the post really should be; who,with what,when,where?! it seems there is no precise info anywhere, yet those of you with the right books,and or knowledge,which im sure is vastly superior to my own, can answer many of these riddles.

Were the 8's and 4's just back up stopper guns? what were the then most popular guns for general use,and even ele hunting? i.e. now we dont use .600's and .700's in general,we seem to use 450's 470's and 500's.......

Phew all very interesting,and very confusing also.

Thanks for the shared wisdom.

Ben

Contact Us NitroExpress.com