Holmes
(.300 member)
24/12/03 06:13 AM
Re: Bench & load testing technique...

I'd be most interested in seeing pics of your rig. Sounds like its time for me to get out the handyman bag and build something like you describe.

I'll have to try off the hood as well when I'm in the field next time. I got out of that habit after a friend of mine was ticketed by a G&F arsehole for shooting from his vehicle. When he took aim from his hood, he raised one foot up on his tire and steadied himself. According to the G&F mental pygmy, it is unlawful to have either foot in contact with a vehicle when shooting. I went to court with him over it and the judge sided with the state. Pretty amazing, eh?

I spent some time last weekend at the range and tossed 40 pills downwind. Felt like I had been hit by a truck for a half hour or so afterward!

The loads I was working with were with H4831 and the Woodleigh 570 soft nose. Last load was 113.5 grains which A-Square listed at 2150fps from their 26" test barrel. My Ruger has a 27" Shilen but I got only 2100fps. They were using their own 570s and I presume it was A-Square brass whereas I'm using Bell. Don't know if I can reach the 2150 with this powder & case combo or not as its rather compressed now. Maybe if I rig up a drop tube about 1 metre in length!

Regards,

-Holmes

Contact Us NitroExpress.com