Preacher
(.224 member)
02/08/06 08:23 PM
Re: Monoblock vs. Chopper Lump?

Jagermeister, I use both systems.
On accuracy terms:
I have 2 demi-block doubles in 9,3x74R, and 4 mono-block in 9,3x74R, 8x57JRS, 7x65R and 45-70. One of the demi-blocks shoots just acceptabily and it is a 1970īs factory made rifle, the other one shoots amazingly and it is a hand made one. 3 of the mono-blocks are capable to make one sole hole at 80 meters (1 of them is a factory made and the other two are hand made), and the other one just shoots (this is hand made too).
The conclussion is that it depends on how good or bad the hands were.

On strenghtness or durability terms:
I just canīt tell. None of them gave me a single problem. Strenghtness has always been the best selling value of the demi-blocks, but I think that I will not be living enough time or shooting enough bullets to have an opinion. Maybe on the big bores this point may have a real sense.
The oldest existing firearm maker, which is Beretta, is the real defender of the mono-blocks even for its double rifles, but I have seen some big bores (470 and up) of that Firm carrying demi-blocks. This maight be a clue.

My opinion is that one thing is the theory (thatīs good for engineers) and another thing is the practice (thatīs good for hunters). Is more or less the same that happen with the ultra-accuracy concept; anything around the 7 is very good for a hunter and anything out of the 10 is unacceptable for the sniper-shooter.

Rgds
The Preacher

Contact Us NitroExpress.com